Skip to main content

Treating Food as Medicine for Chronic Pain

 


Are you tired of living with chronic pain? I know I was! I felt like no doctor was listening to my concerns and with the new opioid restrictions, the thought of relief was just a dream. Chronic pain can be debilitating and affect every aspect of your life. 

Imagine being able to do the things you love without constant discomfort. Picture a life where you can focus on the things that matter the most to you. With the right approach and guidance, it's possible to reduce the impact of chronic pain on your daily life. 

I have mentioned in my other posts, my doctors wanted me to take an insane amount of ibuprofen and acetaminophen on a daily basis. My main concern was that my liver and kidneys would be damaged and guess what? I would be in even more pain because lets get real, ibuprofen and acetaminophen do not take away chronic pain. I was also given gabapentin, which is a prescription drug used as an anticonvulsant. However, they are distributing this drug like tic-tacs for pain. For me, this did nothing for my pain and the side effects of this medication are quite alarming. More on this at a later time. 

It's no secret that chronic pain can be debilitating, impacting every aspect of your life.. However, many people do not realize that the food they eat can have a significant impact on their pain levels. When I discovered this fact ( no thanks to my doctors ), it was a real game-changer for me and my own struggle with chronic pain. 

I learned treating food as medicine could make all the difference in the world. By making simple changes to my diet, such as incorporating more anti-inflammatory foods, healthy fats, and nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables, I was able to reduce inflammation, improve gut health, and alleviate pain naturally. But one of the biggest challenges when trying to change your eating habits is often fear of missing out on tasty meals. The good news is, there are ways to change your way of eating without sacrificing flavor and quality! And now, not only am I experiencing less pain but also enjoying my meals even more. 

So why wait? Let's start this journey towards a healthier life together and take control of our pain by making better choices in what we eat. We owe it to ourselves to try everything we can to live our lives to the fullest! 

Email: HolisticReality76@gmail.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holistic Pain Management

Pain management is a holistic approach that focuses on treating the root causes of pain and educating patients on how to manage their conditions in order to achieve long-term relief. Herbs Herbs are a popular treatment for pain because they're easy to use and have few side effects. They can be taken as teas or tinctures, and they're often used in salves and ointments as well. Herbs work by decreasing inflammation and increasing blood flow to the area where you're experiencing pain, which helps the body heal itself naturally from injuries or illness. You can use herbs both acutely--when you have an injury or inflammation that needs immediate attention--and chronically--for long-term conditions like arthritis or fibromyalgia that require ongoing treatment over time. Herbs are also beneficial for both physical and emotional pain: some herbs reduce physical symptoms such as muscle spasms while others address psychological issues such as anxiety or depression by calming your min...

When My Doctors Would Not Help With My Pain

       After my major spine surgery I was sent home with 20 percocet. I was instructed to take one pill every six hours for pain. If you calculate the instructions that would be five days of pain medicine. I had a tumor removed from my spinal cord, 4 lamina removed from my thoracic spine with no hardware replacing it. My Serratus posterior superior muscles was cut through (upper back major muscle) and four nerve roots were also cut through in order to get to the tumor. To this day I still have CSF leak in my spinal cord as well. While in the hospital ( two days in ICU and 5 days afterwards) I was given dilaudid for the pain. When I am discharged 5 day supply of percocet and then I was on my own.     I called my neurosurgeon's office asking for help. I was told to take 1000 mg of acetaminophen  every six hours, 800 mg of ibuprofen every four hours, valium for muscle spasms three times a day, and the ever so wonderful gabapentin three times a day for ner...

Mental Health for Post Surgical and Life Changing Events

 I was diagnosed with a meningioma on my spinal cord six years ago. It was found by complete surprise, I was getting an MRI on my back due to an injury. When the doctor came into the examination room to give me the results, I saw the look on his face and immediately knew something was wrong. I was advised to see a neurosurgeon right away. My spinal cord was completely compressed and eventually I would become paralyzed from the waist down among many other life changing issues if I didn't get it removed.     The first neurosurgeon I went to scared the life out of me. He said the tumor was facing my breastbone and because of the location they would have to remove one of my ribs and go around my lungs and heart to get to the tumor. In the next breath he said or we can do pin point radiation. None of these options sounded appealing to me, especially since I was not having symptoms yet!      I was really depressed and went for another opinion. The next ...